The MAX17330 with AccuCharge technology improves charge and fuel gauge accuracy in a smaller solution size.
Analog Devices, Inc. (ADI) today announced the MAX17330 battery management integrated circuit (IC) with integrated fuel gauge and advanced battery protection for one-cell lithium-ion/polymer batteries that delivers longer battery runtime for consumer applications than similar products. The new IC expands ADI’s battery management portfolio, which already delivers accuracy for the automotive and industrial markets that is among the highest in the industry. Compared with similar products, the MAX17330 significantly extends run-time and monitors internal cell self-discharge hazards, while also shrinking solution size of single cell battery-powered products. ADI’s proprietary AccuCharge™ and ModelGauge™ technologies deliver high top-off charge and deep safe discharge, enabling longer run-time of medical and fitness wearables, home and building automation sensors, handheld computers and terminals. The MAX17330 also simplifies battery management for devices using parallel cells, such as foldable smartphones and tablets, as well as AR/VR smartglasses.
Conventional battery charger ICs implement techniques that result in inconsistent charging and consequently, requiring an additional margin for the battery protector. This limits the battery from being charged to its maximum level. Many modern devices require multiple cells that are separated physically to manage the weight distribution for good ergonomics or user experience. This poses unique challenges while charging, as the batteries can have unequal impedances and can also be of different capacities and initial states. The MAX17330 addresses these challenges by controlling the charger using its integrated fuel gauge for each individual cell.
MAX17330 Battery Management IC Features and Benefits
- Higher top-off charge for longer battery runtime: 20 percent more accurate charging with AccuCharge technology delivers higher top-off charge for longer runtime.
- Higher fuel gauge accuracy: The ModelGauge m5 fuel gauge algorithm delivers 40 percent more accurate state-of-charge (SOC) readings; EZ configuration eliminates any need for battery characterization.
- Smaller size: Small wafer level package (WLP) and integration of the battery charger, fuel gauge, protector and authenticator functions reduce the total solution size by 36 percent when compared to similar solutions.
Pricing and Availability
- The MAX17330 is available as of now for $2.25 per 1,000 units in a 15-bump, 0.5mm pitch, 1.9mm x 2.5mm WLP package.
- The MAX17330X2EVKIT is available as of now for $94.34.
Company: Analog Devices